Violin and Viola Vibrato Tips and Tricks
Wrist Vibrato Development
1) Place thumb in saddle
2) Bring the hand over fingerboard
3) Tap on top (opposite side from squiggle side) with ring finger
4) Shift arm back to 1st position, and open up hand.
5) Put this exercise over a rhythmic base. i.e. 4 sixteenths and a quarter. If done properly, the elbow will have complete range of motion.
6) Repeat the exercise several times. Then repeat the exercise but tap on the strings, instead of the body of the instrument.
7) Finally, place finger on string and do same motions while keeping finger pressed on a note.
The best vibrato materials I have found are by Gerald Fischbach, Professor of Violin at the University of Maryland. His book is entitled Viva Vibrato, and DVD is The Art of Vibrato, both published by Kjos.