Our Vacationspacer
spacer
PEDAGOGY instruments musicianship books
spacer

 

Statue of Liberty


This is a one handed approach to putting the violin into playing position that was develop by Paul Rolland. A one-handed approach is useful so the student can hold the bow while bringing the instrument into playing position.


I have found that 90% of my students hold the instrument correctly after the first attempt using this technique. A couple of repetitions will bring along the other 10%.


Since the instrument is brought to the body from above, it is easier for the student to maintain a correct posture for a longer period of time. It also helps students learn to balance their weight correctly.

Use the phrase "nose, scroll, elbow, toe, all in a row" as a reference to check a student's alignment

 

POSTURE INSTRUMENT SIZINGINSTRUMENT POSITION

BOW HOLDBOW STROKE INTERMEDIATE RIGHT HAND SKILLSADVANCED RIGHT HAND SKILLS

LEFT HAND POSITIONSHIFTINGVIBRATOADVANCED LEFT HAND SKILLS

 

 
Pedagogical Information | The Instruments | Teaching Strategies | Books and Information | Home
Copyright © 1996-2013, Michael Hopkins. All Rights Reserved.