Forming the Bow Hold Summary- Violin and Viola
1) Hold the bow at the tip with the left hand.
2) Bend and flex the thumb. Touch THE TIP of the thumb to the stick of the bow as shown.
3) Place the FIRST JOINT of the middle and ring fingers on top of the bow as shown, opposed to the thumb. Lay the second joint of the index finger on bow next to middle finger. Tap little fingernail on the top of the pencil. Note the placement of the pinkie is next to ring finger.
4) Turn the bow over so you can see thumb. Continue to bend and flex the thumb. Roll the stick until the hair of the bow touches the thumbnail. Flex and bend the fingers. Make a "Come here" type of gesture with the index finger.
5) Turn bow back over. Repeat the steps several times.